Saturday, March 14, 2009

Race to Witch Mountain


Race to Witch Mountain (a remake of 1975's Escape to Witch Mountain) should have been called "the marathon chase scene," which is fine if there is a little more to the movie plot (more than the chase scene). Unfortunately, the plot was a little thin in this movie. Dwayne Johnson (aka "The Rock") plays a cab driver named Jack Bruno, selected by two kids (who are actually aliens) to help them find their captured ship and return home to their far away, never-heard-of before-planet. In the meantime, they are chased by an alien (a bad one), U.S. Government agents, and two mob-type men who worked with Jack Bruno in his former crooked life. During the race/chasing, there was lots (and lots) of gunfire and all sorts of weaponry attacks. My 9-year-old son liked this, but I really did not (disclaimer, I do not like violence of any type in movies). He also said the special effects were "awesome" and the movie was "very suspenseful." I thought the special effects were average and there was very little suspense (it was a very predictable action movie). He recommends this movie to kids ages 7+. I recommend it for kids ages 9 or 10+. Overall, he liked the movie, and I did not. I kept hoping the race would end and the kids would happily get back to their planet so I could get home and get happily to bed!

No comments: